San Damiano d'Asti Town Hall (Palazzo Carlevaris)
Located 15 km from the provincial capital (Asti) and 45 from the regional capital (Turin), the city of San Damiano d'Asti is a village of the Upper Monferrato, almost in the center of the Colline Alfieri, a territory formed by the extreme edges of the Langhe, Monferrato and the Roero.
The village has developed on a low hill (the highest point reaches 339 meters) on the left side of the Borbore stream and consists of three large villages developed around the historic center: Borgo Rondò to the north-east (towards Asti), Borgo Piano to the west and Borgo San Rocco to the south.
Among the vineyards of the surrounding hills are scattered the numerous farmhouses and hamlets of the village.
• Palazzo Carlevaris
Built in the 18th century.
It was the residence of Counts Carlevaris.
Today it houses the municipal offices.
For more information: https://www.sandamianoda.it/Itinerari/Visitare/Palazzo-Carlevaris
• The urban aspect
The current urban fabric of San Damiano, when compared to the city plan recorded for the land registry in the eighteenth century, does not appear much changed, rather it is still well-read the original features of a preordained medieval system, typical of the villae novae.
Even today, in fact, the city's axes are via Roma and the central Piazza Libertà; on the sides, forming a road network with regular development, a series of minor roads branch off, in which some buildings of medieval origin are observed, restored in later periods.
From Piazza Camisola, looking towards Canale, stands the new city. But returning to the historic center of San Damiano, we briefly retrace the most representative buildings that can be seen along Via Roma and Piazza Libertà.
Renovated in the eighteenth century, on probable preexisting medieval, is Casa Castelli, which was the home of the architects Giuseppe and Filippo Castelli, originally from Varese but residing in Piedmont.
The building, in exposed brick, located on the corner between via Roma and via Gioberti, is on two floors on porch and was designed - reports the Daneo - by the same Filippo, author, among other things, also the bell tower of the beautiful Brotherhood of St. Joseph.
Next to Casa Castelli is a building where the features of Gothic architecture are more clearly legible, especially after the recent restoration: see for example the splaying of the lower part also open to a portico, the latter element that characterizes the entire center historical according to the characteristic Po Valley form. On reaching Piazza Libertà, some noteworthy Baroque palaces immediately stand out. First the ancient Town Hall which, erected on a portico with twin pillars and round arches, is internally connected to Palazzo Vagnone, uniform to the first in external decorative characters.
The council building, which was built in 1763-64 on a previous design by Giuseppe Castelli by the entrepreneur Domenico Conza, from Lugano, however, soon turned out to be insufficient to contain the municipal offices, so much so that, after acquiring Palazzo Vagnone, the common in 1884 he entrusted the restructuring to the engineer Giuseppe Bistolfi of Alessandria to adapt it to contain the elementary schools.
The new seat of the municipality then became the Palazzo Carlevaris, so named after the owner who acquired it in 1884. Interior, which runs on two floors, to which is added a third formed by mezzanines (open, in all probability, at the time of the nineteenth-century restructuring), it is distinguished by the beautiful stately rooms with stuccoes, frescoes and painted overlays.